Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ahhhh....what's Daisy doin'?

She's taking swimming lessons in a pool without Mummy and Daddy. Her teacher's name is Ms. Ariel. How appropriate, huh? She cried the first week she went because she's always done lessons with one of us in the pool with her but now she's loving it. In fact, she's progressing much further/faster without us to use as emotional crutches. She'll even float on her back now, which would induce mega-fits before.

Plus side: neither Mumma nor Daddy have to endure wearing a bathing suit or getting wet!

_MG_2471.jpg

She's doing GREAT at school! We've moved on from screaming, crying, sulking, and bargaining. We now have... wait for it... friends! Elyse and Geegee are the two girls she talks about the most. Geegee is a doll of a kid, about a year older than Daisy, who always runs up and greets you whenever you arrive at the school. She's like the unofficial hostess. Elyse looks almost exactly like Daisy, so much so that it's sometimes hard to tell the difference from afar when they're in the playground.

Today, Daisy's report said that she is doing great following along with circle-time and that she is doing an awesome job of putting things away after she's finished with them.

Yes, we checked to make sure we picked up the right slip of paper.

IMG_2936.jpg

Her #1 love is still books. She hasn't blinked an eyelid about half of her toy collection disappearing from the living room. Definitely the right decision there. We spend money on books. No more toys. With few exceptions, they're just five minute wonders around here.

What are the exceptions? Tambourines, maracas, and stuffed animals.

_MG_2454.jpg

She's become a bit of a Daddy's girl. Yup, the pendulum has begun to swing. I think it has a little to do with the fact that I have been working more which has not just made me literally more unavailable but emotionally/mentally also. I feel sad about this, of course, but at the same time a little glad that it's forced Ms. Daisy to learn what a wonderful Daddy she's got.

IMG_2932.jpg

The cutest thing they do right now is at bedtime. Daddy has a habit of saying "I love you more!" and now Daisy responds. So, as he backs out of her bedroom at night, they yell and giggle at one another: "No, I love YOU more!" It's awesome and makes my day.

She's developed a picky attitude toward clothes and shoes. Some are just off-limits. Others are favorites one day and then apparently, the next day, they hurt, are too small, or are too big. It's hard to keep track. It sure makes me glad she has a school uniform because it leaves us with a limited number of options to fight over. Not that I usually fight too hard. Meh, you gotta choose your battles and her having matching shoes isn't a hill I feel like dying on any time soon.

_MG_2395.jpg

Things that have not changed:

She's still a nut. Running in circles, jumping up and down, and generally behaving like the Energizer Bunny. I want just a LITTLE of that, please!

_MG_2417.jpg

_MG_2419.jpg

She's still a Nanny's girl.  Although she loves school now, by the time Thursday comes around she's asking when she'll get to see Nanny. "I WANT her!" she'll pout. On Friday mornings, she'll squeal like a nutter yelling "YAY! Nanny and Grandad day!"

OvaleFarmersMkh=t-9.jpg

And last but not least... we are nowhere even close to being potty trained, although everyone is soooo over changing those nasty diapers. But Ms. Daisy is on her own schedule and, despite Nanny's best efforts, she has no desire to even venture down this path right now. I guess this is the new battle ahead...

1 comment:

e said...

She's got such a personality, little Daisy, it's incredible. And what is this about no potty training? How do you wage that battle? Do you just stop putting on diapers and let her poop her little pants? The challenges of having kids, I tell ya, every kid has something unique, and lots of stuff that's not too. Just like the big people.