Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

You've got to be kidding me, right?

You've got to be kidding me #1

Will this baby ever sleep? Odds are looking unlikely judging by the activities of the last week or so.

Baby is in almost constant motion. Previously he/she would never kick or punch me while I was standing or moving around but now no such relief exists. Walking around San Francisco over the weekend, I must have looked pretty comical. There were times when I literally jumped and openly cringed with pain and surprised. Hail to the pregnant woman with turrets.

This morning, while having my one cup of coffee (and praying for 6 weeks to pass so I can have a couple more) baby kept up a constant beat of one or two "bops" to my ribs every 5 seconds or so. The overall episode lasted at least 15-20 minutes. Maybe we should call him/her Ringo?

It's not just the frequency any more but also the force. When baby decides to punch downward, extreme discomfort is felt in one of three critical places: cervix, bladder, or bowel. When baby decides to kick up, it's usually up and to the side, making it feel like he/she is going to come ripping through the side of my tummy (usually the right side.) I keep having these weird thoughts that the right side of my tummy is going to stretch more than the left and, when the baby comes out, I'm going to end up with a lopsided fold of skin. Ewwwwwwww!!!!!

You've got to be kidding me #2

Just a week away from my baby shower and I get a friendly email from Babies R Us to alert me to an item from my registry that may be discontinued or in limited availability. When I scrolled down, however, it was AN item, it was like 10!!!! Some were items I actually really wanted, so I'm bummed. :o(


In other news, I've been soooo incredibly tired. I mean, like, completely exhausted. Work has been a little crazy lately, what with one thing and another, and I don't think this has helped. I have been continuing on as if I was pre-pregnancy Vixen and aparently that's just not possible (maybe not a revellation to you but sadly one to me.) Couple this with my new pattern of interrupted sleep and you've got a recipe for collapse. Which is exactly what happened on Friday afternoon. I came home from some meetings at the office around 2:30pm and literally collapsed on the couch, my cell pone on my lap. I actually even napped, which is something that usually only happens with this body when I'm sick. The last time I felt this exhausted was in the first trimester (aka: The Zombie Phase.)

Even over the weekend, I didn't manage to shake the dragging feeling of wanting to plop-down and sleep at any given moment. Sunday, when Hubby and I returned from our V-tines day in SF, we succumbed to our collective lethargy and made the couch our home. Physically I'm sure it was good for me but mentally I just hate to be sitting around on my day off. Not that the weather really promoted being out and about - driving rain and wild wind gusts are not exactly conducive to outdoor activity.

Another sign that my body is worn-down is that I'm getting little boils in my ears and canker-sores in my mouth. These are two things that only ever appear when I'm stressed-out or about to get sick - the ear boils I get from my Mum, the mouth sores from my Dad. Gee thanks, M&D!

Fortunately it's a 3-day weekend for me, so I'm making the most of no work and taking it easy. Never has President's Day been more perfectly timed, I tell ya!

Tomorrow night is our Anesthesia Option class (yes, pain relief baby!), Thursday is our next ObGyn appointment, and then Friday my Mum comes in for the shower on Saturday. She'll only be in until Sunday morning, so it will be one heck of a whirlwind trip. Short or long, I'm excited to be able to share the day with her - we don't have baby showers in the U.K., so this will be all new to her.

After Saturday, Hubby and I will be reviewing the remaining 'needed items' from the Babies R Us Registry and heading out to empty our bank accounts on whatever is left. We're both experiencing a slight sense of panic when it comes to not feeling fully prepared with all the 'gear' that we need right now and so I think the next couple of weekends will be critical in helping calm our anxiety, at least in that particular department. I'm also heading to the maternity store with Mum after the baby shower to purchase those ultra-sexy maternity bras, nursing pads, and nursing PJs/nightgowns for the hospital. That will get the overnight bag into full swing also. Once the bags are packed, the car seats are safely installed, and the baby gear is organized and lined up around the house, all there will be left to do is wait.

And we all know how good I am at waiting...

2 comments:

e said...

They better not have run out of Butt Paste!

joy4love said...

1. Ringo was hiccuping.
2. Naps will be more needed and appreciated moving forward for, oh, a few more months.
3. Waiting sucks...I sympathize with you. However, at least you're not on bedrest. Still can be thankful, right?