Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Oh my God, honey!"

Those were the words I yelled at Hubby first thing this morning as I turned on the video monitor.

Our little Daisers, rather than laying happily in her Miracle Blanket, still between her sleep positioner, and eyes wide open and looking around as she normally is, was almost nowhere to be found on the camera. All I had to see was an arm and a leg in a location thus-far uninhabited by a baby and we were on our feet, flying into the nursery.

What we found was Daisy on her tummy, clear at the other end of the crib, smiling at us, her miracle blanket discarded in a heap at the bottom of the crib and her sleep positioner completely undisturbed.

Ummmm.... WTF?

Up until now the most Daisy has been able to achieve is two legs out of the blanket. Usually she'll "meep" a couple of times somewhere between 6am and 7am to alert us to her being awake and then lay there working her legs out of the blanket, one by one, until we come in to get her. Never once has she even managed to get one arm out, let alone both arms and legs, then completely escape and roll to the other end of the crib! So, clearly, it was a bit of shock to have it all happen at once.

Not that I haven't been expecting it for some time now, especially since she is so prolific at rolling from back-to-front (still not much luck in the other direction, unfortunately). We knew this time would come but, as I said, we were expecting to get gradual inklings that it was on its way - an arm here, a slightly turned position there. Nope, one foul swoop.

Now the question remains as to whether:

(a) She escaped in the middle of the night and had been quietly traversing the bed ever since, only waking us up when she was ready to get up. Conclusion: she moved in her sleep, still swaddled.
or
(b) She woke up at her normal time and rather than just lay there on her back waiting for us, she decided to experiment a bit before calling us to come in. Conclusion: she moved only after waking up and getting herself out of the blanket.

My guess (hope!?) based upon the evidence is (b), which means we can probably continue to swaddle her for a little bit longer. When we check on her throughout the night she is usually still happily on her back, having moved only her head - she hasn't ever traveled much during sleep. If it's (a) then we have to stop swaddling her to avoid her rolling over on her tummy still swaddled and suffocating herself.

Tonight we're going to swaddle her as usual and see what happens. I usually wake up at midnight, 2am, and 4am either way, so I'll just pop-on the monitor and see where she's at.

Wish us luck because I'm not looking forward to the first week of her sleeping unswaddled.

If it aint one thing it's another, huh?

4 comments:

joy4love said...

Why are you up every two hours?

e said...

She's amazing.

MACMD said...

Joy, I have NO IDEA. I just wake up. Thankfully I usually roll over, look at the clock, and then fall back to sleep within a few minutes. But, it does have an impact on how rested I feel in the morning for sure.

e said...

Hey I was just cruising by and noticed the layout update. I like it a lot. For some reason, I prefer the side panel on the left, if there's only one. Much more relaxing.