Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

When the lights go out in the city

And when sleep schedules don't coordinate

Arghhhhhh. Last night we lost power at about 11:30pm. The AC went off, the fans stopped turning, the night-lights went dim, Daisy's humidifier bubbled to a halt, and the silence (and heat) descended.

Of course, we were alerted to this turn of events by our dogs who started to bark, most likely because, without the humm of various appliances throughout the house, you could hear dogs barking 4 streets away. Our general neighborhood has soooo many dogs (at least 2 dogs per house on our block at least), no white noise to block them out really is a bad rap for us. Joss flew down the stairs to keep them quiet while I stayed in bed, one ear keenly tuned toward Daisy's room.

Without any power, the video monitor didn't work, so my crutch was gone. I knew the heat would be rising without AC or fan and that her room would be unusually dark and silent, so I was all-but holding my breath, waiting for the scream. What actually happened (and what usually happens in these situations) is that Daisy slept right through it all while Hubby and I stayed awake for the duration of the outage (75 minutes) just waiting for her to get up. Plus, it was so darned quiet (aside from the occasional dog growl or bark) that my ears actually started to ring!

This really helped when Daisy woke up just under four hours later. Yes, 4am! She fell asleep early last night, at 8:30, hence the even-earlier-than-usual hour. Since she has figured out how to get out of that Miracle Blanket, our 9-10 hour Daisy has turned into a 7-8 hour girl. Although this is still considered "sleeping through the night", it's a rude awakening (pardon the punn) for us - especially since 7-8 hours for her is closer to 6-7 for us by the time we get to bed.

The only good news here is that she sucks down a bottle, falls back to sleep, and is usually wrapped back up in her brib 45-60 minutes later. She then stays down for 1.5-2 hours. But it still leaves us bleary eyed, especially after last night's shenanigans. So, I am resolved to try and eliminate my crutch (because, let's face it, it's me/Hubby that's attached to it right now), said Miracle Blanket, this Thursday night. I'm going to try and put her in one of those sleep sacs instead and see what happens. Perhaps, without anything to escape from, we can get her to stay down for her previous amount of sleep. (Does this sound like crazy talk?) But then, perhaps, all we'll achieve is interrupting the 7-8 hours we're still clinging to. Who knows? Hence, I'm going to give it the college try Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights and see how it goes. Tell me if you think I'm crazy.

The Big Girl Stroller


Daisy Week 20 002

Since we've learned the power of rolling over, our sleep habits are not the only things that have changed.

Until recently, the car-seat doubled as the stroller seat on the travel system we have. But Daisy always hated being strapped into the car seat because she couldn't see out very well and the only way that the car seat fits onto the stroller base is facing backwards, which was also not working out for her any more. So, as soon as she learned to leverage her foot on the seat base, she began to try and launch herself over the side of the stroller about 1/2 way through our walk. This meant that I either needed to carry her the rest of the way or strap her in (something you just don't want to do, believe me.)

All of this seemed to be spelling the end of the car-seat doubling as the stroller seat. Hence, this weekend, we decided to try the big-girl attachment. As you can see from the pic above, we're still a tad small but the good news is that we didn't mind being strapped in and we fell asleep vs. falling out.

Katie Le's First Birthday Party

Daisy Week 20_Katie1

About a year ago my friends and I were planning a trip to visit newborn Katelinh Wing Le and, in the process, I casually implanted into the email a clue that I was pregnant. On Saturday we celebrated Katie's 1st Birthday Party with her parents, Linh and Yogi. My, how time flies!

Thanks for inviting us guys!

Daisy Week 20 004

No comments: