Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

23 months

Daisy is now less than one month away from her second birthday.

O-M-G - where did the last two years go? This time two years ago, THIS WAS MY REALITY. All things considered, I like where we're at right now much better.

Right now, poor thing is sick. After recovering from a temperature of 102 yesterday, she paraded around the house today screaming "Uh oh, Mummy! Snot!" Which is basically a demand for me to wipe her nose.

When she is sick, we slacken our restrictions on things like watching movies - as much to give ourselves a break from the glue-like neediness as to actually provide relief for her.  As you can see, Daisy is now quite adept at opening the DVD cases and even putting the movie in the player.

Daisy Month 24-9609

Daisy Month 24-9607

Daisy Month 24-9608

A lot of changes are coming down the pipeline for our little Doodle, once the "2" mark is hit. The biggest, and the catalyst, is going to preschool, of course. At which point, we get serious about potty training too. And, at some point, we really do need to take the leap and transition her into a toddler bed.

The latter scares us **itless. Daisy literally traverses the whole bed, end-to-end, corner-to-corner, throughout the duration of the night. We have absolutely no idea how she will be contained in a regular bed. For a start, I'm not even sure she will stay in bed once we leave the room. (Certainly, naps will be done forever.) Once she realizes she can get out and cruise around the room and even open the door to get out, it's all over. We've never had much trouble with her nighttime routine in the past and it's going to take a collective deep breath in this house to mess with what has been working so well for so long.

So, maybe a while before that particular transition. This is one thing I think we'll avoid forging the trail on. We're going to watch friends and see how they do with their kids first.

4 comments:

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

"...it's going to take a collective deep breath in this house to mess with what has been working so well for so long."

I know you didn't ask, but...don't mess with what has been working so well!!! Keep your sleeping child where she sleeps! I kept Lily in her crib until very recently and she was VERY happy.

I am VERY reluctant to mess with anything that may disrupt sleep around here ;-)

joy4love said...

I'm not sure why you feel she needs out of her crib, but I would keep her in it unless you absolutely have to take her out as well. With preschool coming, the last thing you'll need is more changes in her life. I know she's a very smart and advance girl, but keeping changes, especially one so big like going to school, minimal should always work better. Hope the little lady will be rid of her snot soon!

MACMD said...

@Kim - LOL. Ok. I had heard that they develop an unreasonable attachment to their crib if left too long and that may make it harder to transition them at a later date.

@CBCYouth - if you read my post, I never said I was planning on doing it all at the same time. That's nuts. I said it was the beginning of transitions, that's all.

But, hey, I can wait on the crib if your experience tells you it's no big deal. The potty training... notsomuch. I am seriously done with that crap, to pardon a pun.

e said...

Sorry Missy is sick, I hope she gets well soon. I have no input re the crib thing whatsoever. So ... what they said. :o)