Today Hubby and I interviewed my "spin the bottle" selection for Pediatrician.
I have to say, I've got much better at spin the bottle since my school days ;o)
There really isn't that much substantive information online about doctors and, sure enough, getting a recommendation is ny-on impossible (not the fault of my mommy friends, I might add - its the restrictive med system). So the only thing I have to rely upon is a brief profile on my medical group website. This was how I found my PCP who, as you know by now, I love love love.
My theory is that any doctor who takes the time to complete more than the perfunctory name, education, creditations, and contact information in their online profile has to have a leg-up on their competition. To me, someone who writes a paragraph about their patient care philosophy and why they love their job is more likely (although not guaranteed) to have a compassionate, patient-focused bedside manner.
After reviewing the site for pediatricians, I found only 2 that bothered to do just that. It may not be a perfect weeding-out process but it definitely demonstrates that not everyone can be bothered to go the extra mile. Clearly, I'm looking for one of those docs who 'goes the extra mile'.
So, we met her today and we instantly loved her. Big, bright smile, engaging, talkative... perfect for "us". She only works part time and shares her job with another pediatrician she has been working with for many years and who, she said, shares the same bedside manner and medical philosophies as her. There are also 2 other pediatricians on-site for emergencies, in case we can't get one of them. She describes her and her fellow doctor's style as more "hand-holding" than the other two, male doctors (perfect for first-time parents who are prone to bouts of midnight freak-outs) but said they have similar medical approaches and qualifications. There is also an on-call nurse available 24/7. On the 2 days a week she doesn't work, she chairs the Pediatrics board at the hospital next door - another good sign.
Her medical philosophy is pretty much "realism". She's got two grown-up kids of her own who were born while she was at medical school and, although she would have loved to breast-feed them, her job didn't provide her with the time out to "pump", so she had to use formula. Although she thinks breast feeding is good for the baby and encourages you to try it at least, she also recognizes that it has to work for you and dislikes mothers or fathers feeling guilty about their decision not to breast feed. She also showed the appropriate amount of disdain for those La Leche freaks I have heard so many horror stories about and provided me with some advice on how to deal with them at the hospital when the time comes.
Overall, she seemed to love her job, have genuine enthusiasm for the people she works with, and want to engage on more than just a perfunctory level with her patients. All my boxes were ticked and even Hubby was suitably impressed.
Yay!
So, only just half-baked, baby already has the nicest room in the house and his/her own doctor. Spoiled brat!
3 comments:
I am so glad you found someone you like. These kids are spoiled I tell ya!
What are La Leche freaks?
e: http://www.llli.org/ They are women who are adament about mothers breast feeding their babies. Almost like the religious freaks who stand outside abortion clinics, their goal in life is to make you feel emotionally obligated to breast feed and guilty as hell about what a horrible mother you are, if you don't. Unfortunately, a lot of lactation consultants at hospitals (the women who come in after birth to help the baby latch-on to your swollen nipples) are La Leche subscribers. I've heard horror stories of new mothers being literally manhandled and insulted until they were reduced to tears, all with the goal of getting the baby to suck on their breast. Hence the fact they better not come within arms length of me OR better hope I've had a caesarian and still can't move my arms when they approach.
Post a Comment