Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bloody Bear!


Time to share a funny parenting story.

After three frustrating attempts, we finally got Daisy down for her first sleep of the evening at 8pm last night. By 8:30pm we were breathing a sigh of relief as it seemed as though she might actually be out for a few hours. (Considering she hadn't napped more than 90 minutes all day, relief may be a slight under-exaggeration.)

At just about that time, while Hubby was doing some dishes and I was indulging myself in a trashy magazine, I heard a weird sing-songy noise that I thought was coming from the TV. I looked up briefly because it didn't seem to fit the show (House) but the noise seemed to stop and so I went back to reading about Jennifer Garner's fabulous new life and how she manages to cope so well with her two kids and look so fantastic at the same time (ummm yeah, like MONEY!?) Ten minutes later the sing-songy melody returned and I realized to my horror that it seemed to be coming from the nursery. Given that the nursery door was closed and the tv was on (and not quietly,) it had to be one loud noise! So Hubby went bounding up the stairs, flinging the nursery door open in a panic to find whatever it was singing at the top of it's voice before we lost our tentative adult time. Seconds later he came down the stairs, two at a time, holding the above bear (which was indeed singing at the top of it's voice) like a quarterback going for the winning touchdown. Desperately trying to get the bear out of earshot of Daisy, he ran to the farthest corner of the house, drowning out the din as best he could.

Then there was a pause as we both held our breath and waited for the wail.

Silence.

Strange.

We then made the mistake of taking a deep breath just as Hubby placed the bear on the dining table and, just as he did, the bloody bear screamed "TUMMY!" With the TV off and the rest of the house quiet, we thought that this time we were definitely SOL.

So I grabbed the video monitor, ready to play rock-paper-scissors with Hubby for baby duty, and what did I see? A sleeping baby who had not even moved a muscle.

I kid you not. I can barely sneeze most of the day without waking her out of her delicate snooze time but Daisy somehow managed to sleep through an impromptu "Bloody Bear" concerto at full boar, twice, plus her Daddy flinging the door open, grabbing the bear and flying down the stairs with it blaring in his arms. What's more, she slept until 12:30am! 4.5 hours. Almost unheard of!

We still have no idea what prompted the bear (which was on a shelf up high in the room) to suddenly turn on. Needless to say, it's not going back in her room any time soon. I'm not sure we'd be as lucky next time!

2 comments:

e said...

Close call.

joy4love said...

Maybe you should have the bear sing and yell "tummy" all the time?