Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tantrums

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't supposed to be the "Terrible Twos" NOT the "Terrible Nine Months"?

Yes, Daisy has come out of her two weeks of sickness in full force. Not only is she partially walking (too partially for her own liking), she's teething, babbling new sounds ("Googleygoogleygoo"), and now throwing tantrums when she doesn't get what she wants.

For instance, the following will institute a head-flinging, back-arching, screaming fit that would do any two year old proud:

  • She wants to walk around our living room in circles but wants us to hold one of her hands. Which is fine but not doable for 15-20 minutes at a time. You try to let go? Waaaaa!
  • She is walking on her own but doesn't make it as far as she wanted to without falling. Waaaa!
  • Daisy wants to watch her Gymboree Video for the hundredth time but you turn it off. Waaaa!
  • There's a binky and she wants it but it's not nap time. You remove it from sight. Waaaa!
  • Tired? Yes. Nap? Hahahaha. Not so likely. Waaaa!
  • She's bored of doing the same things in the same 10x10 childproofed space. Waaaa!
  • Dropped the sippy cup on the floor for the hundredth time from her high chair? Waaaa!
  • Done eating and wants to get out of her high chair RIGHT AWAY? Waaaa!
  • You're out walking her and you stop for some reason or you're at the mall walking around and don't keep moving. Waaaa!
  • She's wet but she doesn't want her diaper changed. Waaaa!
  • It's the fourth time you've gone through the book with the dog, cat, and bunny but she wants to read it again. Waaaa!
  • She wants that piece of paper/electrical cord/cell phone/pen/sunglasses/picture but you won't let her have it. Waaaa!

The list is growing daily and I'm beginning to wonder where my happy little bunny has gone.

I think a lot of it is boredom and frustration, unfortunately, so I need to come up with some new tricks as well as open up her world a little bit. That living room is closing in around us more and more every day and, if I'm bored of being in it (which I have been for some time), then I can only imagine that she is too. The problem is that the rest of the house is a baby minefield that is not easily fixable, particularly the family room (aka: dog's room) which is tile and hardwood with a step-down that is guaranteed to send us to the Emergency Room and lots of nasty dog germs/fur to contend with. BUT, this weekend I am going to do some radical shifting and reorganizing because the space available to us for exploration and play is just not large enough any more. If she were going to daycare and only here first thing in the morning and then in the evening, I think it would be fine, but she's here all day and there's only so many times you can go over the same toys and books, and walk/crawl around the same space.

Any tips/ideas/advice from seasoned moms greatly appreciated here...

1 comment:

The McNulty Family said...

LOL! Parenthood is such a roller coaster ride isn't it!?! God she is beautiful though! AND.. how did I not have you on my blog list? I swear you have been on there for years.... sorry dude!!

XOXO
Gen

ps: 2 wasn't so bad... it's 3 that has been the death of me!!! ;)