Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

12 month stats

Jamaica 2010 036

When Ms. Daisy was born, she was in the 75th percentile for pretty much everything - weight, height etc... Since then, she has sat squarely in the middle of average, keeping a steady 50th percentile in both measurements.

Until she started crawling...

Since Daisy became active she has barely gained more than a pound and is now only 25th percentile for weight. She was 18lbs at her 9 month check-up and only 19.3lbs at yesterday's 12 month physical. We just can't break that 20lb mark!

She measures 29 inches, which keeps her in the 50th percentile for height - and which just makes me shake my head because everything 12 months in clothing is waaaaay too long for her. I think she's all body and no legs like her mama, poor thing! Head circumference is also 50th percentile.

Does it seem fair to you that she was her heaviest when she was INSIDE ME? I think NOT!

Her physical and verbal development is slightly ahead based upon those nebulous averages they measure her against, all with the exception of her teeth: she only has four (two top and two bottom) and most kids her age are supposed to have four up and down with some molars on their way. The doctor suspects that she will have a massive tooth-growing attack and get a bunch at once. Yup, can't wait for that. Sounds fun.

We got the all-clear to move off of formula and onto whole milk, which we did start last week but I pulled back on because we had some redness during diaper changes. Aparently this is normal - diet adjustments and reactions. Daisy is now taking whole milk from a sippy cup but the bottle in the morning and before bed is going to be hard to kick; she sucks both down at lightening speed and won't do the same with a sippy cup. I guess we've just got to push through that.

This all makes my dad ludicrously happy because it means he can share some ice cream with her. Since the day she was born he has wanted to give her ice cream. Don't ask me why but he's convinced it's going to be the most exciting culinary experience of her short life. Still stuck in "old school", he was a bit miffed when I told him that she couldn't have anything made from cows milk in the first year (kind of like how he was miffed that we had to bring her home from the hospital in a car seat. Ahem.) So, tonight the whole family will be dining at Leatherby's, an infamous family ice cream joint, where we will all no doubt eat too much ice cream and pay for it tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

e said...

To be honest, I'm kinda relieved that she's in the middle, above for some stuff, below for others, like a real baby. Every single person I know who has babies is always going on about how their kid is in the 75% for height, weight, brains, coolness, hair length, feet, fingers and so on, if not more. I often wonder who are the kids that are not the 75% or the 90% of what have you, since none of the people I know (and I know a lot) have a kid that is in the middle in any way.

Daisy is awesome and she is just the right size. There.

MACMD said...

Oh, I'm in agreement. The stats don't mean anything in relation to other kids really. It's not a contest. The percentages are SUPPOSED to be about tracking your kid's development ove time. It's actually important medically to ensure they are thriving. A sudden, inexplicable dip in growth can indicate a problem, for instance. So, I relate the numbers as compared to her previous stats as opposed to as compared to other kids.

joy4love said...

If it makes you feel any better, Noelle weight in at her 1 year old check up at 18lb which puts her like in 20th percentile. Look at her now...