Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Overwhelmed with joy and love and sugar and gifts!

Daisy First Birthday Party 236
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAISY MCDAID!

Today was quite possibly one of the best (and definitely proudest) days of my life. What am I talking about? It was definitely one of the best days of my life. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had THIS MUCH FUN. And it was all at a one year old's birthday party! Whodathunkit? Well, it was MY one year old's birthday party...

Our day started early because we were on a mission to be done with our nap at a certain time. So, bad parents that we are, we didn't place Daisy's binkie in her special spot where she can get it in the morning. This meant that we all got up at 6am instead of 7am. We all suffered. I guess this makes it better. Haha!

Then the craziness began.

I showered, Hubby showered. Hubby took off for Nan and Grandads to set-up and receive vendors. Meanwhile I set about wearing out Ms. Daisy so she would happily go down for a morning nap (instead of a mid-day nap, which would have meant no birthday girl for the party - yikes!) After a thirty minute walk, dancing and singing to her favorite video, and chasing her around the house on hands and knees for almost an hour, I succeeded in getting her down at 9:45am. (I was tempted to nap myself at this point but I had make-up to put on, clothes to change, and hair to style. Oy vey!)

11am was the start of the party and it came and went. Ahem. (Maybe too good of a job in wearing her out on my behalf?) At 11:15am I had to go in and open the curtains to wake Missy up. I felt bad but, hey, you can't miss your own first birthday party, right!?

When I drew up to my parent's house at about 11:20, I almost cried. I have been planning and envisioning this day for soooo long and spent all week worrying that all manner of things would go pear-shaped. So, when I saw the cars already parked outside, the party sign in the driveway, the balloons lining the pathway, and the Happy Birthday sign on the door, the relief and excitement flooded over me.

Daisy First Birthday Party 465

People were there! The balloons looked great! Hubby had executed my vision to the tee! I love him. We make a GREAT TEAM.

Daisy First Birthday Party 461
Party party!

Daisy First Birthday Party 007
The birthday girl's throne

Daisy First Birthday Party 009
Mimosas near the door. I know my friends well! ;o)

Daisy First Birthday Party 467
Daisies, daisies everywhere!

Of course, the decorations only set the stage. There were still other elements to turn a good party into a great one. We already addressed the alcohol...

GOOD FOOD
(Thanks Mum & Dad!)

Daisy First Birthday Party 197

Daisy First Birthday Party 135

ENTERTAINMENT

From bounce houses to a fairy that painted faces, hosted puppet-shows and got even the grown-ups playing with a massive parachute, there was no shortage of fun to be had. Oh, and there was also a little Easter Egg hunting going on in the background!

Daisy First Birthday Party 098

Daisy First Birthday Party 116

Daisy First Birthday Party 375
Eh, screw the hip. (Incidentally I DID NOT pay the next day. Hmmm...)

Daisy First Birthday Party 298
Parachute play.

Daisy First Birthday Party 320
So cool to see kids having so much fun! They bring such unabandoned joy into your life!

Daisy First Birthday Party 109
Katie getting her face painted by our AWESOME fairy, Melody.

Daisy First Birthday Party 064
Hand painting for missy who isn't into having ANYONE mess with ANYTHING on her precious little head.

Daisy First Birthday Party 102
I LOVE this shot, just as I love Noelle. I still remember her in her mommy's tummy. Crazy!

Daisy First Birthday Party 192
Puppet shows! Bunnies and turtles and parrots.

Daisy First Birthday Party 147

GREAT FRIENDS AND FAMILY

Parties, just like just about everything else in life, are "made" by good people. We are fortunate that so many people who are so important to us, were able to make it to Daisy's special day. It was even more special because of each and every one of them. I loved hanging out with everyone, as did Daisy, Daddy, and our hosts, Nanny and Grandad! Thanks everyone for coming and having (what I hope was) a good time!

(Apologies if I did not specifically include you below - there's only so much space and 450 photos!)

Daisy First Birthday Party 111
The McDaids and Tings.

Daisy First Birthday Party 196
My favorite mamas. Great women all.

Daisy First Birthday Party 387
Grammie and Daisy sharing a sweet moment.

Daisy First Birthday Party 393
My good friend Vickie whose own son is all growed up and quite the catch!

Daisy First Birthday Party 051
Our swim buddy, Kate, and her mama Beth.

Daisy First Birthday Party 096
CJ and her precious blessing, Maclay. Aparently the finger thing he inherrited from his mother. Haha!

Daisy First Birthday Party 312
My friend, Joy, and her son Gabriel. They both bring so much joy into my life, if you pardon the pun!

Daisy First Birthday Party 295
Aunty Linh (expecting baby #2 in the summer) and Daisy.

Daisy First Birthday Party 272
The Waterburys. Aparently Daisy is modeling her growth and development on Micah and, aparently, I'm IN FOR IT!

Daisy First Birthday Party 158
My good friend, Mala, with whom I like to enjoy long walks, tall drinks and lengthy bitch sessions.

Daisy First Birthday Party 170
Aunty Farrah, cousin Adah (3), and cousin Ezra whose first birthday was one week before.

Daisy First Birthday Party 054
Precious Madelyne and her mommy, Renee, also expecting her second, Malik, in May.

LOTS OF GIFTS!
Thank you everyone for your generosity. Oh, and for the toys that sing. We really, really appreciate those. (Ahem)

Daisy First Birthday Party 459

CAKE!

Daisy First Birthday Party 142
Mama made Daisy's own personal cupcake. Not bad if I say so myself. The plate I had made by a pro and I hope to bring it out every year for her birthday.

Daisy First Birthday Party 219
40 people singing happy birthday are behind this camera, which may explain the dazed and confused look on the birthday girl's face!

Daisy First Birthday Party 258
Not her first piece of cake but definitely her first frosting. I think we paid for it later with a little bit of gas and irritability. Pah! It's only your first birthday once!

Daisy First Birthday Party 285
My little party animal. If this doesn't look lke a good time, I don't know what does!


... even the weather managed to behave for us. It had rained the day before and the forecast all week had not looked hopeful but the sun actually managed to grace us with it's presence on-and-off!

Never has a party I have thrown gone-off so well. Everything cooperated: birthday girl, weather, people, vendors... As someone who used to work in special events, I know that only happens once in a blue moon, so I sure appreciated it.

In fact, the only thing that didn't seem to cooperate was Daisy's size. She was just a tad too small for her birthday dress, which I purchased a couple of months ago in a size 12 months. Little miss peanut is just a hair off a 12 month dress size right now and a bit too big for a 9 month. The dress actually fit better than the sweater and, had the weather been warmer, the overall effect would have been much better but it was too cold to run around outside in a sleeveless summer dress.

More importantly than perfection or my enjoyment (or, perhaps, as a major part of it) the birthday girl had an absolute BLAST. We worried about tantrums and being overwhelmed but we needn't have bothered. Forget the Easter Bunny - this was, after all, Ms. Social Bunny herself. No sooner did we put her on the ground out in the back yard and she started running around like a crazy girl.

Daisy First Birthday Party 078

Daisy had no compunctions about hanging with the big kids, bouncing up-and-down in the bounce house, running under (and over) parachutes, petting hand-puppet bunnies, letting our fairy paint her hand, and generally being the life and soul of her own party. She let relative strangers pick her up and say hi, she didn't cry when fourty people gathered around her and sang Happy Birthday, and she sat happily in her high-chair thereafter, stuffing sugary frosting and cake in her mouth, while Mama and Dada saw some guests out.

I love her. She is everything this mama could possibly have hoped for in a little girl and it was so cool that we all had just as much fun as one another!

As the party started to wind down, Hubby and I got a last burst of energy and took to the bounce house in celebration.

Daisy First Birthday Party 404

Daisy First Birthday Party 412

Daisy First Birthday Party 428

Nothing better than a one year old and 20 other kids under the age of 5 to help you reconnect with your inner-child. I don't remember feeling that alive and full of energy in a long time.

Later, when everyone else left, I got to bounce around some more with my friend, Joy, and her two kids, Gabriel and Noelle, singing Ring-A-Ring-A-Rosie. Joy was the first non-family member to hold Daisy after she was born - she actually walked into the recovery room with our parents - and so it felt fitting that she was the last person to leave our party. In some ways we are the unlikeliest of friends and yet that only makes our connection sweeter. As an only child, my friends are my siblngs and Joy is definitely a member of my extended family.

Daisy First Birthday Party 444

Clearly, I could go on-and-on about everything (and everyone) I loved on this day but this post wouldn't be complete without a shout-out to my parents who hosted this mega bash.

Thanks Mum and Dad for agreeing to host so I wouldn't need to spend my week off with Daisy scrubbing floors and toilets in preparation. Thank you for letting us leave you with most of the clean-up while we went home and lounged like lizards. Thank you for not batting an eyelid when I told you than 43 adults and 28 children had RSVP'd. Thank you for coralling Daisy so Hubby and I could mingle with our guests and sip mimosas. Thank you for treating our friends and their children like family. Thank you, thank you, thank you for a perfect day. We are so lucky to have you in our lives and down the street.

And with that, we move on to year #2 of Lazy Crazy Daisy's life. The story continues...

3 comments:

joy4love said...

Is that why we pick on each other, I wonder...

This post took me on an emotional roller coaster ride. From the nerviousness, the excitment, the touched, the happiness and joy, the plain-ole silliness, the tearfulness, and the heart-felt gratefulness....ahh...

I really have to say this is one of the best kid's birthday parties ever. Most of the other ones involve dealing with whole bunch of strangers and uncontrollable kids, and this party just wasn't so! We had such great fun! Thanks for letting us share this day!

Linh and Yogi said...

The color of the frosting on Daisy's cake should have something stainable...lol... Glad we were able to make it and enjoy some kiddy fun, our Katie sure had her share :o)

kimber said...

How sad I was to miss this special day. But how happy and tearful I am to see that it was celebrated in GRAND style with lots of love, laughter and good friends...as it should be. Blessings to you and Happy Birthday Daisy. LOVES!