Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Handful

After almost 4 weeks of coughing, and a resurrection of the morning snot fountain, we had to admit that whatever Daisy had, was not going away. So, today we had a visit with the pediatrician. Ms. Daisy has a mild sinus infection that is causing her cough. She's on antibiotics and should be fine soon.

(We're doing well over here since I'm also still coughing and Hubby was diagnosed with a mild case of pneumonia this morning. Fun!)

The sickness part, however, is a walk in the park in comparison to the gut-wrenching, ear-splitting torture chamber that has become the doctor's office. No binkie can save us now from the full-on, full-body meltdown that Daisy has whenever we enter the treatment room. One look at the nurse and she goes BALLISTIC. I'm not talking crying here, I'm talking screaming bloody murder and wailing Ohhhdear! Ohhhdear! Ohhhdear! Muuuummmmyyyy! (repeat) She shakes, spits out her binkie, goes beet red in the face and uses every ounce of strength in her compact, little 20lb frame (yes, she is STILL just 20lbs... just) to fight any check-up or treatment that comes her way.

The nurses and the doctor cannot even listen to her heartbeat these days without her reacting as if they just stabbed her in the back with a serrated-edge knife. It used to be that only the ear-hole peeking thingy did this to her but now that's just the peak of the screaming crescendo, with all 3 of us - me, Hubby, and the doc - holding her down on the table (one taking legs, one taking arms, and one taking head) with every ounce of our strength. This kid can wrench herself out of the grip of all three of us, easy, I kid you not. She is 20lbs of pure fire. If I can harness this for the "beware of strangers" talk in a few years, she'll be formidable and untouchable. I defy anyone to hold her down single-handedly.

Even the doc had to admit that she is one of the strongest toddlers she has ever encountered. Based upon just these visits alone, she now has the impression that Daisy is quite the handful. (Ok, maybe she is sometimes but most of the time she is a pretty happy handful) She consoled us with the fact that Daisy will probably get out of this phase by, say, oh.... age 3. Sooooper! So, only 18 more months to go. God help us as she gets even bigger and stronger. I foresee some kind of Hannibal Lecter restraining device in our future,

In other news, Daisy has taken a sudden and intense disliking to her evening bath routine. Time was she would rush to the stairs and climb up, eagerly, whenever Hubby called down that bath was ready. Then she would play happily in the water and be almost difficult to get out. Over the last few days she has screamed "Nooooooooooooo" at us, at the mere mention of bath (see video below, at end, for a live demonstration) and then, if we proceed, she cries and cries and cries pitifully. Of course, I have absolutely no idea what brought about this sudden 180. After all, she's a toddler, I'm the parent; I don't think I'm supposed to get it. That would just suck all the fun out of guessing.

There have been other 180s too - naps, for instance. Good luck getting any of those wonderful 90 minute mommy-breaks on weekends now. Daisy has pretty much given them up for lent. I've been lucky to secure 50 minutes over the past few weeks, which barely gives me time to do the dishes. I tell myself it's because she's just so excited to spend the day with me that she doesn't want to sleep. (Hey, it could be true!)

Here is a video of Miss Muffet in all her glory, before bedtime tonight. One of her favorite activities these days is to sit in the laundry basket with her furry friends and her beloved sets of Mummy and Daddy's "keyyyssss", throw everything out, and then demand - one by one - that we give them back her. God love her. It's a good job they make these kids cute!

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I hate to say it, but from what I hear from other parents, it's probably normal. Welcome to the world of having a toddler! Daisy has always been ahead of the curve. I see it as a sign of intelligence. She is already making her own decisions and gaining her independence.

Aaron is a handful too and goes crazy when you take him away from his cars to go eat. How do you tell a 15 month old "finish up playing with your cars, dinner will be ready in 10 minutes"? We'll all survive, maybe after a few drinks though!

MACMD said...

For sure. I'm certain Daisy is little different from many other toddlers out there; she may be getting "there" faster but most kids get there in the end. I can only speak from my own experience, of course.

joy4love said...

Well, if she's been UNCOMFORTABLE for 3 months, then I can see where she just detest anything she doesn't like. Granted not every kid fight as hard, but she's YOUR kid after all. I'd like to see Missy and Gab go at each other one day soon...haha...would be fun to watch. Let's pick a place where they could on the 20th hhahaha...