Today's school was Whispering Oak Montessori Academy. Although it sounds very formal and pompous, it is in fact a wonderful, intimate little school full of friendly, caring people. And so well maintained! Seriously, my home is not this clean... EVER.
The school has fanatstic reviews all over the internet and many of them from parents who are themselves educators - a great sign! It also won Best Sacramento Preschool from Parents Connect, although I didn't find that out until after I fell in love. But what we love best about it is its owner and Director, Sima. She is so passionate about her school, her teachers, and her kids, its almost impossible not to feel connected to that place.
Originally I was not very hot on the whole idea of Montessori. Not sure why. Just sounded newfangledangled to me and I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to education to be honest. Whispering Oak turned me around, however. I love the fact that children are encouraged based upon their developmental stage not pulled-ahead or left-behind because of their age alone. I also love the fact that there is a certain amount of non-traditional structure to the students' day. Kids learn to put things away, they learn about boundaries and learning "tasks" are very tactile, practical and hands on. At the same time kids are treated as individuals.
Daisy spent about an hour in the 18 month to 2.5 year olds room and, although she took a little while to warm up, she did eventually start interacting. She even sat nicely at the table and had snacks with the other kids, all adorable little girls I could so see her becoming fast friends with. Particularly one who took a liking to Daddy and made cute, googly eyes at him the entire time we were there.
Miss Melissa was fun and friendly and willing to answer our questions, she also seemed to know when to encourage Daisy and when to step back. I liked that. And I never had the sense that we were intruding on the day or in the way.
I didn't take any photos because I'm very sensitive to taking pics around other people's children when they are not around to consent but you can go to the website (hyperlinked from the school's name above).
Next week, Country Hill Montessori.
1 comment:
You are wise not to take photos of other people's kids w/out their permission. Some folks are really private, and it's not worth upsetting them over some photos. Often they come around on their own, and if they don't, well, no matter. The school sounds very promising. Do you have to put her on a waiting list? How does it work?
Post a Comment