Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

3 weeks today

It feels like longer. I can already imagine how you can turn around, 6 months from now, and find you have little memory of what it was like before your child came into your life. Days, weeks, disappear in a haze of dirty diapers, feedings, burpings, lullabys, and sleepless nights. It's Friday and, I gotta tell ya, it feels like it was just Monday.

On the plus side, Daisy seems to continue to do well. With the help of the magic Nanny touch, we seem to have figured out how to get her to nap during the day (sometimes for 3.5 hours!) which then seems to help with happy baby at night (usually that is; there are no certainties, we realize, with a newborn.) Nanny, Hubby, and I have begun to learn more about Daisy's moods, faces, and noises and what they mean and that's definitely helping. Of course, I'm sure this means she's going to swap it all around on us next week, just to keep us on our toes, and we'll have to start all over again. Oh well, we'll relish each small moment of achievement, however short lived. Having a newborn renders you so completely powerless and at their mercy that you have to take what comfort you can in the moments where you seem to feel that you "figured it out."

Daisy also continues to impress in the strength department. Since week one she has been able to lay on her tummy and lift her head to move it from side to side (crazy for a newborn) and she pushes her boundaries every day, head-butting us when we're burping us, and using her legs to kick me and dislodge her latch while breastfeeding. (Helpful AND fun, especially at 3am.)

She's also a little Houdini when it comes to escaping even the best burrito attempts. After she continually escaped from the basic velcro Snugglers/Swaddlers from BabiesRUs (waking herself with the crackling of the velcro coming apart), I did some research online and found the Miracle Blanket - basically an advanced version of the same thing with extra arm restraints (haha - a baby straight-jacket if you will!) So far so good with the Miracle Blanket - definitely chills her out - but it's always a crap shoot as to whether you're putting her in it too early, risking waking her up and starting the lulling process all over again. Either way, 2-2.5 hours later, she's managed to get her legs out and has wriggled her arms out of the restraints and up through the wrap. This kid has a place in the circus, I'm tellin' ya!

This past week I've also got out and about more, even if it's only around the neighborhood with the stroller. I also went out alone w/Daisy for lunch after getting a hankering for a Nut Burger from "Sunrise Drive In" in Fair Oaks - one of my favorite spots for lunch in the summer. Daisy let her mummy have her moment too, sleeping through screaming kids and a rooster cock-a-doodle-dooing in her earhole (old Fair Oaks village is famously inhabited by a group of roosters, hens, and chickens.) I was very thankful for that; gave her mum some confidence in more outings.

Speaking of Mums, we only have one more week with my Mum in town, which is actually quite scary. She has saved my sanity these last few weeks and Daisy instantly turns into happy, sleepy baby when she's in her Nanny's arms, so it's going to be extremely tough to watch her go. But go she must, to quit her job, sell the cars, wrap things back up in the U.K.; she'll be back at the end of July, so about 3 months. Man, it's going to be a loooong 3 months. Hubby and I are starting to look for daycare now, although we don't relish the task, financially or otherwise.

Here are some pics from little munchkin's week 3...

Daisy_Wk3 044
The magic Nanny touch

Daisy_Wk3 036
Long, lanky legs. Mummy is thankful she may have avoided her short, stumpy ones. Fingers crossed.

Daisy_Wk3 035
Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth at 3pm. Could use more of this at 3am!

2 comments:

joy4love said...

ahhhhhhhh....

I just want to pick her up and smooch her all over!! She's soooo cute!!!! Can I munch on her little toes? How about her face? And her legs? And....

I guess I'll have a Daisy on Monday and skip sushi all together!

e said...

Which makes today 4 weeks!