To avoid packing my suitcase for my upcoming business trip to Tahoe, working, or doing my yoga workout, I decided to waste my lunch time shopping online for a shopping cart cover for Daisy.Ever since we've had her, it's been a weekly dilemma about how to bring Daisy along on shopping trips, most specifically grocery shopping. When she was really tiny, we could leave her in her car seat and just prop it on top of the cart but neither of us ever felt really happy about the lack of safety involved in that. Now that she's more mobile, she's not so keen either (think wild cat in a cage.) So, most often, I pop her in the front pack and attempt to shop with her bouncing around on the front of me.
Sometimes this is fun, other times it's back-breaking and just too awkward. For instance, if I drop something on the floor, it's hard to pick it up as I can't just tip her upside down as I bend over. (No, really? I know! What an uncooperative baby!) Crouching isn't much fun either, especially with my bad hips and knees. Also, if I'm trying to do anything directly in front of me, I'm somewhat hamstrung. Not to mention the fact that Daisy now wants to grab and naw on pretty much anything I have in my hands these days. I have already lost a few shopping lists and coupons to her mega-drooly chops!
In short, the front-pack is working less and less well. And, with her sitting up now, I thought it would be beyond awesome if I could get her sitting in the child seat on the shopping cart. Of course, there are all kinds of nasty germs on those things (if you're one of those worrisome mothers, do not read this article about how your local shopping cart is more germy than a public restroom!) and they're not exactly a soft landing place for a wobbly infant. HENCE, the great shopping cart cover shopping expedition.
FACT: I am (usually) extremely good at researching the best product at the best price online. Almost everything I've found and bought for Daisy so far has been a hit. I wish there was a job doing just this all day because I would nail it.
DILEMMA: There are a lot more choices out there than I ever thought imaginable. I am now stuck in analysis paralysis. Yes, for a shopping cart cover. I know. It's ridonkulous.
Of course, I did find the one I wanted. I did a Google search for "Best Shopping Cart Cover" and found KozyPal. Unfortunately "best" also translates to "most expensive" - $68+ - and if you want to get all the optional accessories - pillow, cup holder etc - which of course I'm now thoroughly convinced I can't live without (despite the fact I do realize this is a cart cover, not my next car), you have to customize your order. Not only does that cost more bucks but you have to wait for them to slot it into their next production which, now, isn't until late November! Who plans their shopping cart cover purchase that far in advance, for heaven's sake?
ItzyRitzy in the Central Park West fabric was the next most popular on my list. Again, a whopping $68 but this time it doesn't even look as though there's as much padding for the shopping cart function. Looks a bit flimsy for the $, no?
Then I went to Amazon.com. Unfortunately, I was now ruined by KozyPal for just about every other shopping cart cover out there. Is it puffy enough? Does it cover all sides? Does it have a pillow? What about a bottle pocket? How about mommy pockets for keys and cell phone? Are there loops for favorite toys? And, most importantly, does it come in a cute but stylish fabric that will leave us the envy of every other shopping mommy we encounter?
This has become a serious business!
So, I'm asking for some help. Mommies, (or non-mommies - you're not disqualified by having a un-used uterus or even no uterus at all) here is my criteria. Do you have recommendations?
MUST HAVE
- Puffy and soft - provides padding for the falling-sideways new sitter
- Has loops for favorite toys
- Also doubles as restaurant high-chair cover
- Easily washable
- Attaches to shopping cart w/ straps
- Comes in choice of fabrics that don't include bunnies and teddy-bears. Oh, and no Disney characters purrrrlease!
- Doesn't cost a bazillion dollars. (Under $50 would be great.)
- Pillow
- Reversible fabric
- On-board toys
- Straps for baby
- Easy-carry case or bag
- Pockets for mommy's toys (cell phone, coupons, keys etc...)
Right now I'm torn between the Floppy Seat because, well, it's so floppy and soft looking, and the BuggyBagg because it's so useful looking. All those pockets! Who can resist?!
Also, I'm well aware that this could be cause for me to be committed to some kind of mental institution. Does being self aware mean you're actually NOT mad?
1 comment:
They all look pretty much the same to me, frankly. I like the Leachco one the best, but only marginally so. Have you decided?
Post a Comment