Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

VEINS

That's the word of the day. Veins, veins, everywhere.

On Monday I had to go get some blood taken, which we all know I love so much. I do not have good veins either, which just adds to the joy. You can't get a vein on my left arm for love nor money and the good vein in my right arm is "hidden". This I have to tell every new technician I enounter - this and the "you better find me a bed or I'll faint." Yes, I'm not an easy customer.

Unfortunately my one good vein is a "roller" and this time, just as she got in, it rolled away from her. Fortunately, I wasn't looking (too busy squeezing my eyes shut and trying to remember to breath) and so did not know. Double fortuitously, I had a pro. "Can you take a deep breath in and then a slow exhale?" she said with so much calm that I had no idea there was an issue. On the exhale I felt a little sting and prickle and only then did she tell me that she had to withdraw the needle a tad and go hunting for the offending vein. Dang, I'm glad she didn't give me a blow-by-blow.

The result of this quick and relatively painless issue was that I now look like either a drug addict or a lab rat - take your pick. The inside of my right arm is bruised around the vein and, just by coincidence, I have some scratches from my dog in the same area. I told Hubby that if he wasn't nice to me, I would report him for spousal abuse. Of course, nobody would believe HE could beat up ME, but that's another issue...

Still on the subject of veins, my chest and boobs look like a road map for inner London. I got out of the shower this morning and almost recoiled in horror. Where did these things come from? Of course, it's not news to me that pregnant women get blue veins appear around their chest area, but it was news to me that they would suddenly appear overnight.

Unfortunately, I have not been blessed with overflowing cleavage as yet and am doubtful that I will reach the buxom heights of the average new mom. I have gone up a bra size but that still only moves me from "barely there" to "there". The only things that seem to have grown significantly are my nipples/areolas. The things are the size of tea cups for heaven's sake - they're disproportionately bigger than the rest. I look like I have two over-endowed shuttlecocks on my chest. Sigh... Well, I guess it's better that two pimples on a duck's behind.

That's it from pregnancy land right now. TTYL.

2 comments:

joy4love said...

There is better than barely there for sure. I think Joss will concure.

e said...

Well, this is nothing to do w/ being preggers, but with veins: I have the biggest, baddest veins in my arms. They call 'em cords, cos they look like cords under the skin. Makes the bloodletting easier, usually, cos I don't need to get poked twelve times.