Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pregnancy and Real Estate - strange bedfellows?

Would you believe that you have to wait 10 weeks before an Ob/Gyn doctor will see you, once you're pregnant? Ok, if you're not new to this whole pregnancy/motherhood thing, you're not at all surprised. But I was.

I got my referral from my doctor yesterday and spoke with the appointment setter at the practice I'm going to be going to. I get a prenatal nurse appointment at 6-8 weeks to go through blood tests, medical history etc.. and only then a Ob/Gyn appointment at 10-12 weeks.

Based upon everything I'm seeing and reading, it pretty much seems to me that nobody in the medical field is interested in a pregnant woman unless she's made it past the 8 week mark. Given that 50% of first-time pregnancies result in an early miscarriage, I'm guessing these doctors want to make sure that this baby is hanging in there for the long haul before they start investing any real time in you. 50% of their referrals probably don't even end up coming in for that first appointment. I guess that's one way to make sure you've always got room on your schedule.

Talking to Hubby about it last night, he likened it to the loan pre-approval process for the buyers he works with. In the current real estate and credit climate, it's just not worth his time to take out any buyer unless they have already been pre-approved by a lender. A good portion of his potential buyers don't qualify for a loan these days, which kicks them out of the process right away.

So, there you have it - pregnancy and real estate have something in common. Who knew?

No comments: