I am frustrated.
Whatever I did to my pelvis/groin/inner thigh 10 days ago doesn't seem to be getting better. It literally feels as though someone has taken a baseball bat to my pubic bone and upper, inner thighs. Yes, I'm experiencing some resurgence of the old muscle tightness on my bad-hip side but that is manageable in comparison to the feeling that that my pubic bone is about to split open whenever I stand or walk.
I have tried rest (which results in tightness of the muscles but happiness of the pubic bone) and mild exercise/stretching (which results in relief for the muscles but unhappiness for the pubis.) I have tried my massage therapist (enjoyable but no resulting overall relief to the core problem) and then a chiropractor she recommended (no noticeable results so far but only 1 appt.) Both seemed to address a ton of sore muscle/overall misalignment issues but didn't/couldn't pinpoint exactly what I had done that would result in the pain I am experiencing or offer a definitive path toward recovery. Thursday I have an appointment w/ my PCP and I am hoping that she can shed some light on what I might have done and how we might fix it.
Maybe I'm old-school and oversimplifying this but, to me, something popped-out (I heard it) and something needs to be popped back in. Back when I originally injured my hip, I went to physical therapy and the therapist did this nifty (but shocking) maneuver where she had me lay on my back and try to push my knees together while she provided resistence. It made my pelvis crack/pop, whatever you want to call it, and although it was sore for a couple of days, I definitely felt a realignment and sense of relief. So, I guess my expectations have been set by that. In my mind it feels like my pelvis needs to be 'popped' and so I'm waiting for that pivotal and palpable moment of relief. All this twittering around the edges of the problem right now just isn't working for me.
The thing I am worrying about (yes, probably 'Google-induced anxiety') is something called "Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction," a result of separation of the symphysis pubis which is a joint in the very front part of the pelvic bone structure and something which (like my previous hip problems) is more commonly recognized in the U.K. (and they say that a single-payer healthcare system doesn't work!)
While it seems that SPD is something that develops for most women during the course of a pregnancy and over time, I guess it's possible to 'cause' it to happen with injury too. The symptoms seem to fit - pain in the front of the pelvis that hurts when touched (although, for me, it's not excrutiating), pain in the lower abdomen, hips, inner thigh and groin areas and a marked increased pain with activities such as walking, climbing stairs, or lifting my legs. The only thing I'm not experiencing is a loss of range of motion - I can still stretch and open my legs as far as before, without an increase in pain (in fact, it helps with the overall discomfort to stretch) as long as the action is non weight-bearing.
If it is SPD, it doesn't seem like there's a lot I can do to "fix" it. (Groan.) There is lots of advice about how to manage it but not cure it while pregnant. It's generally accepted that it goes away sometime after delivery (although about 60% of women continue to experience it after delivery for some period of time.) However, I'm hopeful that the fact that if I 'caused' it to happen w/injury vs. it happening on it's own, my situation might be different.
I guess we'll see. Appt. with my PCP is tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment