Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Double ughh, harumpf and owwww!

Yesterday was our 6-month ObGyn visit. As usual, it was a 10 minute routine in-and-out. A quick summary of events includes:

  • Momma put on 6lbs. Ughh. My overall weight gain to-date is about 21lbs, which is approximately normal but heading toward the high side - 25lbs to 30lbs is the ideal for a woman of average size pre-pregnancy. Since I was a little on the heavy side before I started (yes I was, don't argue - the scales don't lie), I was hoping to keep it to 25lbs but that doesn't look likely now, considering I still have 3 months left. I'm trying to look on the positive side - I just came out the other side of Christmas and a guilt-free trip home and hopefully the next three months will be a more steady, healthy gain. Incidentally, for those of you that don't know, the average woman's weight gain of around 30lbs breaks down as follows: 3lbs of blood, 2lbs in your breasts, 2lbs in the uterus itself, 2lbs of amniotic fluid, 4lbs of retained water, 2lbs of placenta, 7lbs of fats, proteins and other nutrients, and 7-8lbs of baby. So, during delivery, you should lose the weight of the baby, the placenta, the amniotic fluid, and perhaps some blood and water (estimated around 10-14lbs). That leaves 12-16lbs to lubb-off afterward. Delightful. It is what it is, I guess. I'd just like to make it as easy as possible, while still at the same time ensuring a healthy baby (which doesn't seem to be a problem... read on...)
  • Baby's heartbeat is loud and healthy.
  • Momma's belly is measuring slightly larger than expected (but within normal parameters). Ughh, again. Yes, yes, I know... here I was moaning about the subjectivity of people's comments and it turns out they are a tad right. I just hope this doesn't mean a large baby. Can I hear c-section?
  • Doctor found some sugar in my urine that makes her a little concerned that I might be developing gestational diabetes. Harumpf. It could also be something to do with the fact that we got up late and I'll I'd had for breakfast was coffee with sugar, OR that I ate ten hot tamales before bed the night before OR that I took a break from my usual healthy eating habits over the holiday and haven't quite recovered. Let's hope so. Blood glucose test is next Tuesday and I'm eating extra specially good between now and then. Fingers crossed.
  • Time to count kicks. Starting now and every day until baby is born, I have to count the baby's kicks. For those of you who are mommas already this is new but, for the uninitiated this involves: picking a time of day when the baby is most active, recording the time of the first kick and then recording the time of the 10th kick. You then record the total minutes it took to get to #10, expecting it to take no longer than an hour. If you can't feel 10 movements in an hour during the course of the day, or the baby doesn't move at all, you need to call your doctor. (I think the latter is a no-brainer but I can see how you might just get through your day wondering if you felt the baby move today. It does become a bit old hat.)
So, those are the major highlights. Now for the "owwww!"

Yes, I managed to injure myself again. I seem to be a walking disaster area since I got pregnant.

Yesterday I was did my pre-natal yoga video. This is generally a doddle for me and something I do at least 1-2 times a week. In the middle of a side-angle pose, I lost my footing and, in trying to stay balanced laterally, strained a muscle or muscles in my groin/inner thigh. I heard a little crack or pop (I know, not good) and then had pain in my groin when righting myself and standing. My first thought was my mended hip joint - I'll go into a pink fit if I've done anything to make that resurrect itself because it's been in great shape over the last few months.

I'm resting and icing the area regularly in the hope that it's just a strain, and I don't feel any instability or clicking in my right hip joint, which seems to suggest I haven't done any joint damage. I'm ok to walk and not in a lot of pain but my inner-thigh and groin on my right side, and a little bit of my outer hip, does feel sore and certain movements 'tweak' it.

It seems like something is conspiring against me getting any kind of cardiovascular exercise - first the toe and now the hip. I'm not going to be going on any long walks for a while, which won't help the weight gain or the gestational diabetes (should I have it.) I'm thinking of heading back to the gym to get on the arm cycle. I've got to get some kind of cardiovascular exercise somehow for me and the baby's good.

Sigh... these things are sent to try us, I guess.

2 comments:

Linh and Yogi said...

I know the last person you want to hear from on weight is me but I have to tell you, I gained 40lbs and probably a pound or two more by the time I was admitted for labor and pooped out only 10lbs leaving the hospital. I lost every pound by the time Katie was 3 months. I have to say, the breastfeeding may have been the trick and maybe not having time to eat more than a meal in a day. Nonetheless, it can be done!! I've heard Kaiser offers prenatal exercise classes in the pool which is great cardio. You might want to look into it with your medical provider. I was too lazy to do it plus I was having too much fun walking stairs at work. BE CAREFUL LADY!! I'll checkin with you in a couple weeks. I have every other Fridays off so Katie and I can make a house call!

Mala said...

Seriously, whats up with you and getting injured? I hope you feel better soon. Don't worry about pregnancy weight. I lost all of it in the first month without breastfeeding. I've gained half of it back over the holidays - but that's a whole different story. Let's mourn over lunch.