Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

NEWSFLASH: BabyCenter.com attempts to increase number of babies up for adoption

Today I received my weekly pregnancy e-mail bulletin from BabyCenter.com. It contained such heartwarming article headlines as:
  • Top 7 baby expenses to be ready for
  • Calculate the cost of your baby's first year
  • Surprising baby bills you may not expect
  • 30 things that will change when you have a baby
  • Name Game Drama: Moms-to-be are tired of the baby name battles

Now, I'm all for a realistic picture of parenthood, but this particular email was pushing it too far. These are the kinds of emails you send to someone who is trying to conceive not someone 11 weeks in. Why not just send an email entitled: "Get ready for your life to become completely unrecognizable and your bank account to become empty?" Or, better still, "Ten reasons why you may want to consider adoption."

Now, before all you current mothers start getting all self-righteous on me and either (a) extolling the many marvelous things about motherhood or (b) wagging your finger at me because of course I should expect that a baby will change my/our life - STOP RIGHT THERE! Give me more credit than that. OF COURSE I am aware of both arguments. I'm not an idiot and this baby was not the result of a broken condom.

But, just like learning that the little salamander in my stomach is going to be drinking his/her own pee for the next 6 months, there are some realities I just don't want to be pounded over the head with - especially not all at once in one email.

Ok, so I'm done ranting about the email. Yes, this blog still has "rants" in the title, and for good reason. When it comes to me: I rant therefore I am.

On a separate note re: yesterdays "Grrrr" battelcry, I would like to say to all of you that probably shook your head and sighed "Ahh, TV, you will learn," - PHOOEY ON YOU! A positive, I'm going to beat this if it kills me attitude, absolutely did make a difference to my yesterday and to my today. I feel immensely better, if still hungry, nauseaus and fat.

I have a big in-person presentation in less than 2 weeks and I'm trying to decide whether to give-in and wear the maternity clothes I recently purchased, or whether to purchase some non-maternity close in just a larger size. Current work clothes do not fit in any way shape or form due to the large amounts of food I have been consuming, so not even a BellaBand is an option at this point in most cases. On the other hand, none of my increased girth can yet be realistically attributed to baby TV, so wearing maternity clothes at 3 months is just a little embarassing to say the least - mainly because anyone who oohs and ahhs at me and tries to "pet" my belly, is only going to be met with a jibbering mound of flesh.

Here is where you existing mothers MAY extoll your opinions and advice without fear of TV retribution... I humbly await your wisdom.

3 comments:

Farrah said...

My two cents: Invest in some clothes in a larger size because you'll use them again in the post-pregnancy period before you arrive at your pre-pregnancy weight. There's nothing more depressing than having to wear maternity clothes AFTER the pregnancy!

joy4love said...

Somehow bigger size clothes didn't work very well for me. They are bigger all around and sure they covered my tummy but I looked like I was wearing a potato sack everywhere else. I dislike maternity clothes too though so I'd suggest going with the Farrah route but be very picky at your selection because not all bigger size fits well.

MACMD said...

Thanks girls. I'll head out this weekend to purchase some mega-size clothing. EXCITING!