
Today I am officially 12 weeks pregnant and heading into trimester #2. I am so relieved I can barely speak, although apparently I still seem to be able to blog.
Now (so I am told) I can look forward to progressively less nausea and exhaustion, more energy and more discomfort. Umm... woohoo... I think. Actually, I'm looking forward to looking pregnant, so that I can stop feeling fat. I'm so between regular and maternity wear right now that it's maddening. When I can finally, proudly, stick out my pregnant belly, and announce that all of this is actually not my fault, I think I will feel immeasurably better.
In other news...
According to those email newsletter things I get, baby is now the size of a lime. (Which, unfortunately, just makes me think of a margarita.)
Other 'dramatic' developments include...
"Reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder."
So, basically, baby can now officially begin it's rebellion with kicking, rude hand gestures, scowling faces, and disgusting bodily emissions.
As for me, the nausea is getting better, I have to admit. The hour after eating is the worst, probably due to a slower digestion. Gas is getting worse, however. I burp like a cross-country trucker all through the day and especially after dinner. Sometimes it's so gutteral and so uncontrollable that it can be quite embarassing, especially if we go out to dinner.
Exhaustion is also easing up, slowly. I still have periods during the day where I feel like I am going to melt into the floor but nothing like the stop-drop-and-nap I had a few weeks ago. I should take some of the credit for this, however, in that I have listened to my body and eliminated my 4:30am gym excursions. (Yes, I do expect profuse praise for this from those of you who know how much I love my early morning workouts.)
I now sleep from 10pm to 6:30-7am and workout at home at the end of the day or during lunch. I have two pre-natal DVD workouts, one is a yoga workout and the other is a light strength training workout with the famous volleyball player, Gabrielle Reice. Once it cools down, I plan to add some walking to my regimen, just to get my blood pumping a bit more. So, I do credit my ability to make it through the day without wilting, to 8-9 hours of good, mostly uninterrupted sleep each night.
I should, at this point, mention Hubby. Before I do, I need to call him out for not posting on this blog. He has authoring rights but has never used them. I have been waiting for him to put in his 2 cents worth in his own words. Since it seems unlikely to happen (nudge, nudge, hint, hint) I shall just talk about him, instead.
Hubby is wonderful. He (as usual) gracefully endures my grumpiness, bitching and whining, which has thus far been the meat and potatoes of this pregnancy from his perspective. Now I think about it, perhaps this is why he does not blog - the only thing he could reasonably talk about is how I moan all the time that I'm nauseous, that I'm tired, that I'm gassy, that I can't have a cocktail, that I can't have a latte, that I don't have a vacation planned, that I want to plan a long weekend, that I need to get out of the house, that I don't have the energy to do any housework, that the housework needs to get done, that we need a maid, that I need to eat now, that I don't want to be pregnant, that I wish we'd adopted, that I'm fat, that I have nothing to wear, that I'm hot, that Sacramento's weather SUCKS, that I'm fed-up with summer, that I want Fall and some rain, and (of course) that it's all his fault.
All of this he endures with a smile on his face. In fact, I think he even finds it strangely endearing and amusing. Fortunately, his amusement isn't like someone laughing at you when you're mad (which just makes you madder), so I kind of find it endearing that he is amused by my whining. We're an odd couple - who can say why two people just work for one another, huh?
Anyway, back to lovin' up on Hubby. He is wonderful. He makes me tea, he does the dishes, he tries to do the laundry (I think we got one load through in 2 weeks after he ran out of undies), he goes to whatever restaurant I want at that moment, he jumps in the car with me to get me out of the house when he'd rather be home, and he calls me to see how I am throughout the day and genuinely sounds sad for me when I say (as usual) "LIKE CRAP!"
So, thank you Hubby - I love you loads. You're going to be a great Dad.
Talking of Dads... Yesterday, my Dad and I were in Home Depot, looking at rugs for our family room and the to-be-nursery. Since we're not planning on finding out the sex of the baby until birth (vote for boy or girl, on my poll on the right) I'm going with neutral, soothing, spa-like colors - grey-ish greens, beiges, browns, creams, and white.
So, I'm in HD looking at this lovely big rug with lots of differently colored, muted, neutral spots on it and my Dad says, "It's not very nursery-like, is it?" To which I respond "Well, what does the baby care? It's not going to be able to appreciate it for a few years either way. I'm going to be the one sitting in there looking at the damn thing while I'm half asleep."
"You're going to be a mother all your own," he mutters. Meaning, of course, that I'm just not going to fit into any of those mothering stereotypes.
Exactly, I thought. Everything is going according to plan...
Now (so I am told) I can look forward to progressively less nausea and exhaustion, more energy and more discomfort. Umm... woohoo... I think. Actually, I'm looking forward to looking pregnant, so that I can stop feeling fat. I'm so between regular and maternity wear right now that it's maddening. When I can finally, proudly, stick out my pregnant belly, and announce that all of this is actually not my fault, I think I will feel immeasurably better.
In other news...
According to those email newsletter things I get, baby is now the size of a lime. (Which, unfortunately, just makes me think of a margarita.)
Other 'dramatic' developments include...
"Reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder."
So, basically, baby can now officially begin it's rebellion with kicking, rude hand gestures, scowling faces, and disgusting bodily emissions.
As for me, the nausea is getting better, I have to admit. The hour after eating is the worst, probably due to a slower digestion. Gas is getting worse, however. I burp like a cross-country trucker all through the day and especially after dinner. Sometimes it's so gutteral and so uncontrollable that it can be quite embarassing, especially if we go out to dinner.
Exhaustion is also easing up, slowly. I still have periods during the day where I feel like I am going to melt into the floor but nothing like the stop-drop-and-nap I had a few weeks ago. I should take some of the credit for this, however, in that I have listened to my body and eliminated my 4:30am gym excursions. (Yes, I do expect profuse praise for this from those of you who know how much I love my early morning workouts.)
I now sleep from 10pm to 6:30-7am and workout at home at the end of the day or during lunch. I have two pre-natal DVD workouts, one is a yoga workout and the other is a light strength training workout with the famous volleyball player, Gabrielle Reice. Once it cools down, I plan to add some walking to my regimen, just to get my blood pumping a bit more. So, I do credit my ability to make it through the day without wilting, to 8-9 hours of good, mostly uninterrupted sleep each night.
I should, at this point, mention Hubby. Before I do, I need to call him out for not posting on this blog. He has authoring rights but has never used them. I have been waiting for him to put in his 2 cents worth in his own words. Since it seems unlikely to happen (nudge, nudge, hint, hint) I shall just talk about him, instead.
Hubby is wonderful. He (as usual) gracefully endures my grumpiness, bitching and whining, which has thus far been the meat and potatoes of this pregnancy from his perspective. Now I think about it, perhaps this is why he does not blog - the only thing he could reasonably talk about is how I moan all the time that I'm nauseous, that I'm tired, that I'm gassy, that I can't have a cocktail, that I can't have a latte, that I don't have a vacation planned, that I want to plan a long weekend, that I need to get out of the house, that I don't have the energy to do any housework, that the housework needs to get done, that we need a maid, that I need to eat now, that I don't want to be pregnant, that I wish we'd adopted, that I'm fat, that I have nothing to wear, that I'm hot, that Sacramento's weather SUCKS, that I'm fed-up with summer, that I want Fall and some rain, and (of course) that it's all his fault.
All of this he endures with a smile on his face. In fact, I think he even finds it strangely endearing and amusing. Fortunately, his amusement isn't like someone laughing at you when you're mad (which just makes you madder), so I kind of find it endearing that he is amused by my whining. We're an odd couple - who can say why two people just work for one another, huh?
Anyway, back to lovin' up on Hubby. He is wonderful. He makes me tea, he does the dishes, he tries to do the laundry (I think we got one load through in 2 weeks after he ran out of undies), he goes to whatever restaurant I want at that moment, he jumps in the car with me to get me out of the house when he'd rather be home, and he calls me to see how I am throughout the day and genuinely sounds sad for me when I say (as usual) "LIKE CRAP!"
So, thank you Hubby - I love you loads. You're going to be a great Dad.
Talking of Dads... Yesterday, my Dad and I were in Home Depot, looking at rugs for our family room and the to-be-nursery. Since we're not planning on finding out the sex of the baby until birth (vote for boy or girl, on my poll on the right) I'm going with neutral, soothing, spa-like colors - grey-ish greens, beiges, browns, creams, and white.
So, I'm in HD looking at this lovely big rug with lots of differently colored, muted, neutral spots on it and my Dad says, "It's not very nursery-like, is it?" To which I respond "Well, what does the baby care? It's not going to be able to appreciate it for a few years either way. I'm going to be the one sitting in there looking at the damn thing while I'm half asleep."
"You're going to be a mother all your own," he mutters. Meaning, of course, that I'm just not going to fit into any of those mothering stereotypes.
Exactly, I thought. Everything is going according to plan...
4 comments:
Do encourage Joss to post, even if it's just something minor. Barring any major disaster happening and all this goes down the drain, someday your kid will be able to read this and what a precious memory it will be.
(Joss is sentimental, use this strategy!)
Honestly, sometimes I read back the posts I posted just a few years ago and am reminded of some of the things I'd forgotten already. It always makes me smile.
Well, I'd love to read those posts of yours... except their in MANDARIN!!! Harumpf. As an author, I think Hubby gets these comments, so I think you did the synpathy tactic all on your own! ;o)
Congrats on making it this far! The fun continues...even better that it'll be a surprise. It's amazing how much info you remember to put in your blog...haha...especially all the things you complain to hubby about which I've been there and done them all...haha... I'm glad Joss is doing what hubbies/father-to-bies do best, hard not to when they're constantly reminded how much worst mommies go through...hehe...hang in there! You guys are doing great!
Yay! Second trimester. Woot!
And fabulous Joss, we want to hear from you.
Post a Comment