Today was Daisy's 6 month check-up and shots.
Here are her vitals:
Weight: 16lbs - 50%.
Height: 26" - 55%.
Head: 42cms - 40%
Yay! We caught up with our height! We've been 25% for height and 50% for weight almost all the way through until now. As a shortie myself (5'1" with a 29" inseam) this makes me very happy.
Like every other parent, we had an in-depth discussion with our pediatrician about the swine-flu. Every pediatrician is a little different in their advice but ours confirmed most of what we've been hearing on the TV news - two shots, 3 weeks apart, should be available by the end of the month.
We also talked to her about our planned vacation to Jamaica, since one of my mommy friends cancelled her trip to Hawaii on the recommendation of her pediatrician because of fears of catching the swine flu on the plane. Our pediatrician, however, had a different take on things. She said that there was no more significant risk of catching the flu from an airplane than there is from going to the grocery store. Going to day-care or school is the greatest risk for any child right now and, since Daisy is cared-for at home, she is protected more than most right now. This did lead us to ask about our weekly visits to Gymboree and this is where she suggested we make a sacrifice. It makes sense. There is just no way that those places can clean every germ from every toy or surface.
So, plane-rides in, Gymboree out. I can handle that!
Parental Neglect
Last night I had my very first bad-mommy moment.
After Brandy left, I had one more email I had to respond to so I took Daisy upstairs with me while I replied. At first I thought I could do it while she was on my lap but then she turned into wriggly-worm and I decided it would be faster if I plopped her on the floor with something to chew on.
As I was putting her down, I did think to myself "I'll have to keep a good eye on her in case she falls back and hits her head on the legs of my chair." This, however, should have been my cue to change strategies because, not one minute after I put her down, despite checking on her every third word I typed, I heard a clunk against my chair. Yep, she had turned and flopped directly onto the wheel on the foot of my chair - head first!
I picked her up and, of course, she was screaming. She was so red in the face and squirming around so much that I couldn't even tell if she had really hurt herself, so I had to carry her to a mirror to take a look. There, just above the socket of her left eye, was a huge red bump, swelling like crazy. I ran downstairs and grabbed something to ice it (I knew those boob cooling packs would come in handy post pregnancy!) and, even though she was screaming like crazy, iced it on-and-off for a good five minutes. I think it was this that saved me because, despite looking like she was going to have a black eye last night, you can barely see anything this morning.
I beat myself up about this all night. If only I had listened to my first instinct!
Then I began to worry that, if I, the most careful and forethinking of all her caregivers (at least in my humble opinion) could let something like this happen to her, then what tragedies would befall her with everyone else????
Yep, time to take a deep breath there, mumma!
Thankfully Hubby was understanding and made me feel a lot better about myself. Which was just as well considering that he managed to scratch up her belly pretty good today on his sunglasses.
Upon seeing just how mobile our little scallywag is, our pediatrician did mention child-proofing our house (which we will be doing in the coming weeks) but I'm actually more worried about parent-proofing the child!
1 comment:
I think it's a miracle any of us ever made it through childhood. I guess it helps that they're made of rubber. Don't worry, you're doing a great job. Every now and then, she's going to smack into something, scream, and you'll be up all night thinking you're a bad mother. That's how you know you're a great mother.
Post a Comment