Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Poo Poo the Flu?

I have to say I was pretty astonished to read on Facebook today that many mothers are choosing not to vaccinate their babies for swine flu and that many of them have received advice from their pediatricians not to do so.

My initial reaction was: WTF? But then I moved to... ok, is this something I should be more worried about?

Pretty much everything I have seen or read seems to be telling me that:
  1. The H1N1 virus has a higher incidence of serious illness or death in young children.
  2. It spreads faster than the regular flu because it does not mutate the same way.
  3. The H1N1 vaccine was developed the same way as the regular flu vaccine which many of the same moms are still getting their kid vaccinated with.

Our pediatrician recommended that Daisy get both the regular flu vaccine (shot #1 of which she has already had) and the H1N1 vaccine, as soon as it becomes available (whenever that might be.) She also recommended that Hubby and I do the same.

So, I'm a bit confused. Where is the fear of the vaccine coming from? Maybe there's some piece of research or a valid medical concern that I'm missing? I'm willing to hear it but I can't find it.

It seems like we've switched from complete and utter fear that the swine flu would eliminate mankind in a matter of months, to fear of the 'cure' itself. (Of course, I know a vaccine is not a cure, per se.)

I'm certainly not judging the mothers who are choosing not to vaccinate their kids (I'm sure they have good reasons) but, personally, I'm much more concerned about the pretty high likelilhood (given that the plastic bubble isn't an option) that Daisy will get the swine flu if I don't vaccinate her, than I am about her maybe experiencing some kind of rare side effect from the vaccine itself.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Farrah said...

Heard a great quote the other day:

"The plural of anecdote is not evidence."

the shot is safe and effective and I agree with you: why take the risk of getting sick with the flu vs. some vague fears.

e said...

The whole thing is just a bunch of bullshit. It's a flu shot, people at risk should get it, end of paranoid conspiracy bullshit crap story. Goddamn it, it's so annoying. I keep reading idiot status comments about how it's a conspiracy by the pharmas to make money. People are idiots, and unfortunately the internet social networks spread the paranoia. Good grief. I can't stand it.

But that's just my opinion.

MACMD said...

Ladies, this is why I love ya. E, I have to say I agree with you, although I am not at liberty to be as... um... frank about it, given that I have many mommy friends who disagree with this point of view.