We're officially 39 weeks today and, if we went on estimated due date alone, exactly one week out from being fully-cooked. However, as much as I like my meat well-done, I'm happy for a little medium-well in this instance. Friday definitely can't come fast enough.
Today is my last day of work (although I tied up most of my loose ends yesterday) and Mum and Dad are arriving in this afternoon, so things are definitely getting started.
Although the poll to the right indicates that most of you believe baby is a boy at this point, the tide has decidedly turned with in-person guesses. Most people I ask now think it's a girl! You know, I've thought it would be a boy all along and, with the baby's size and some other "old wives tale" indicators, people seemed to think I was right. However, recently I've been thinking that it would be so like my child to be a girl, sitting in there listening to all this nonsense and thinking "Haha! Am I going to fool you or WHAT!?" Hubby and I truly don't care at all, we'll be happy with whatever we get, but it's still fun to speculate especially now the answer is just a few days away.
According to the folks at 3dpregnancy.com, here's what's going on w/ Baby Vixen this week.
One uncomfortable complaint of late pregnancy is frequent hiccups. No, not you, your baby. Because there is no air around your baby, when she practices breathing, it can cause amniotic fluid to get into her windpipe, resulting in those regularly spaced thumps that make you think you're carrying a jumping bean in your belly.
Other news this week:
The lanugo (an exotic word for soft, downy hair) that used to cover your baby's body has mostly disappeared, but you may find a bit leftover on the shoulders, forehead and neck. Don't freak and think you've given birth to a monkey: It'll fall out soon.
The color of baby's skin is changing from a red-pink hue to a white or blue-pink color (even in babes with dark skin). These changes are due to the amount of fat your little pudger is putting on.
The circumference of your baby's head and abdomen are about the same size now (though you may not be able to tell if your baby's born with the common cone-shaped head!).
The placenta is lending your Mini antibodies that'll keep him strong and healthy after birth. That said, it's still a good idea to invest in that mega-size bottle of hand sanitizer.
As for momma, nothing new to add to my previous gripes and complaints. No real signs of impending labor, although I did have a very brief but discernable Braxton Hicks contraction yesterday in the bathroom of Noah's Bagels (of all places.) It probably only lasted 5-10 seconds but it was definitely not baby moving. I was about to head into a work meeting so, of course, I was thinking "Typical, I'm going to go into labor in the middle of the meeting." Fortunately it didn't happen and I haven't felt anything else like it since.
At least if it happens after today, Mum and Dad will be here and I won't be laying in the Labor and Delivery room feeling sick that they will miss the big event. Even so, let's hope that's not how it goes down. Fingers, toes, arms, legs etc... firmly crossed for baby to stick it out all the way through to Friday @ 1pm.
No comments:
Post a Comment