Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spawn of the Incredible Hulk

This afternoon was our 37 week ultrasound to measure the size of the baby and to help us/our OBGYN decide if a scheduled c-section is the best course of action.

According to the "average" stats for week 37, this is where we should be at:

(Courtesy of www.babycenter.com)
Congratulations! Your baby is full-term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away. He weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long.

However, the ultrasound technician's noises of surprise while measuring our baby today said it all and here is the verdict:

Estimated current weight: 7lbs 13ozs (there's an over/under of 9ozs)
Estimated due date based upon size: 3/31/09 (1 week earlier than our dates indicate)
Percentile based upon new, estimated due date: 90th (whoaaa!)

Bottom line - this baby exceeds the height and weight limit of the tunnel ahead. Time for some medical intervention (and time to take back some of those newborn onesies that only work up to 8lbs!)

Our next scheduled appointment with our OB is not until Monday but I'm going to try and see if I can get in a tad earlier so we can discuss the potential schedule. From what we heard last time around, she only does surgeries on Fridays, which would put us at the 27th or the 3rd. Judging by the new due date calculation, the 27th would be the safest option. By strange coinkindink, that's also the date my sister-in-law goes in for her c-section.

Obviously we still need to wait and see but that would be just like us to wind up in surgery on the same day. My poor mother in law won't know what to do with herself (since we're several miles apart in different hospitals) but may not have any choice - my 2.5 year old niece needs someone to babysit her while half her family are off giving birth.

As for my parents, this isn't such great news. They moved their flight up from 4/6 to 3/31 and so we were at least hoping I could make it that far. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Other than size concerns, baby seems chubby and healthy, if a little squished in there. All vital organs are functioning well and heart-rate is around 130 - low because he/she is so big. Also, the ultrasound technician thought she saw some hair on his/her head, which is good news since I was born practically bald! We got some pics but, honestly, you wouldn't know what I was showing you if I posted them - it was definitely a "you had to be there" kind of thing.

Stay tuned for more definitive details as and when they arrive.
-------------------------------------------
FOOTNOTE: Yes, Hubby is PANICKING. Me, I just want a date now. Gimme a date.

4 comments:

Yogi said...

Wow..huge baby

joy4love said...

Just an estimate. However, I know I'd be happy to know I can get him/her out sooner if I were you! It has to be a boy!!!

Keep us posted!

Linh and Yogi said...

it's a boy!

MACMD said...

Yes, an estimate but estimated to be accurate within 9ozs. So it's somewhere between 7lbs 4ozs and 8lbs 8ozs. Since we were looking for an <7lbs baby for a vaginal birth, I think it's pretty certain that this is out of the question right now.

Just got out OBGYN appt changed to late Thursday morning. I'll post again when I know more.