Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Just 600 hours to go...

Remember I said I was taking one day at a time? Well, scrap that, recently it's been one hour at a time. This week has been hard. Tuesday felt like Thursday, today felt like, well, the third Thursday in a row. In an effort to not let my discomfort and frustration build into a fever pitch of self-pity, I have literally been looking at things hour by hour.

Today I had to take the afternoon off work. This morning I did a conference call with the owners of my company from my bed. There was no other way to make it happen; I just couldn't pull it together.

It's the gas and related cramping that is killing me. It woke me up at 1:30am this morning, forcing me downstairs on the couch where I practiced my yoga breathing to get back to sleep. When I got up this morning, it started again and, although I had slept, I felt like I'd been up for 24 hours. Also, constipation is bye-bye, if you know what I mean. (Sorry if this is TMI.)

The exhaustion has been reminding me of those first, fateful 14 weeks of zombie-dom that I went through at the beginning of the pregnancy. I was able to lay on the bed for 2 hours this morning and on the armchair for another 2 this afternoon without either (a) falling asleep or (b) moving. I was in that inbetween state, kind of like when you take cold medicine that makes you drowsy - you could literally watch paint dry for hours without realizing how much time had passed or that you hadn't moved. The other feeling I can liken it to (however distant at this point) is the day after a drinking binge, although without any of the fun the night before.

It's rare that I "give in" to feelings of exhaustion, I usually just push myself through and fake it 'till I make it. It usually works too; eventually I start to feel better. Yesterday and today that just wasn't happening. There were no reserves to pull from. The tank was on empty. I could not pull it together.

This afternoon around 5pm I started to perk up (probably means I won't sleep tonight - great).

Other "joys" of the final few weeks from head-to-toe:
  • Sinus congestion is getting worse. I'm a big bag of snot.
  • Back hurts no matter what position I'm in.
  • Hands keep cramping up from too much computer work. I actually massaged a knot out of the top of my right hand/wrist last night just so I could get to sleep.
  • Fingers are swollen - I really fear I may have to have my "Shell" ring cut off my middle right finger before this is over.
  • Skin on belly feels so tight it might peel off at any given moment.
  • Skin at the top of my arms is itchy and dry.
  • Feet get sore from just a few moments on my feet.
  • Every joint in my body cracks with the slightest movement. A TMI anecdote - my shoulder pops in and out whenever I wipe myself from going to the bathroom.
  • Moments of excitement (just over 3 weeks to go) are juxtaposed just seconds later with moment of extreme panic (oh my God my life is about to me unrecognizable; this baby can't be "sent back") and then back to optimism just as quickly (but I'll be able to have a martini!)
It really does feel like this pregnancy thing has taken forever. As I've said before, I barely remember what it feels like NOT to be pregnant any more. I certainly cannot see putting myself through all this again. In fact, the very thought makes me want to throw up... literally.

5 comments:

e said...

Goodness, hang in there!! At the end, you'll have your own little child, and it will all have been worth it. Even if you still never want to go through it again. I can't wait to meet little Carter McDaid.

Mala said...

Just a few more days...

MACMD said...

Actually, Mala, a "few" is 3, I have 24. So, not really.

Linh and Yogi said...

Suck it up lady...it's only the beginning! :o/

MACMD said...

Geee... thanks for the pep talk, Linh!